[XeTeX] Fwd: [OS X TeX] Wanted: XeTeX HOWTO

Arno Kruse ak2.71 at gmx.net
Sat Jan 20 14:50:28 CET 2007

Am 20.01.2007 um 12:19 schrieb Arno Kruse:

> Am 19.01.2007 um 18:56 schrieb William Adams:
>
>> On Jan 19, 2007, at 10:19 AM, Arno Kruse wrote:
>>
>>> Now I am hopeful. Shall I really be able to use Cairo again?
>>
>> Which Cairo font do you mean? The one which Susan Kare did:
>>
>> http://www.kare.com/MakePortfolioPage.cgi?page=4
>
> Yes and no (!). I have Cairo in another format: Cairo TT.dfont and
> Cairo TT. But the glyphs are the same.
>
>> Using normal outline fonts in XeTeX is really easy however, esp. w/
>> Will Robertson's Fontspec package:
>>
>> %!TEX TS-program = xelatex
>> %!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
>> \documentclass{minimal}
>> \usepackage{fontspec}
>> \setromanfont{Hoefler Text}
>> \begin{document}
>> This is set in Hoefler Text.
>> \end{document}
>>
>> William
>
> <snip>

OK, with new spirit I tried out the example above - it worked. Fine.
I changed "Hoefler Text" to "Cairo" - it worked! Fantastic.

I took one of my further .tex files, copied the strange first lines
(beginning with %!) and added \usepackage{fontspec} - the result was
a catastrophy, wrong fonts, ugly look. Business as usual for me.
Then I removed the three added lines. Result: The old file was demaged.

All this is horrible. The day will arrive I use Open Office instead
of TeX.

Arno