[XeTeX] XeTeX and mathematics

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 12:40:30 CET 2007

Hey,

On 15/01/2007, at 18:10 , Apostolos Syropoulos wrote:

> Indeed, I know that are ranges to store the various mathematical
> alphabets,

Sorry then, I misinterpreted your question.

> but if I my memory serves me well, it seems that XeTeX has problem
> handling fonts that have more that FFFF symbols and these alphabets
> fall exactly in this category.

The only problem at present is that such characters cannot be made
active (or accessing them via the ^^^^ input method; composite glyphs
need to be used), but there's no problem with assigning them
mathcodes. Oh, except that unless you've got v0.996 of XeTeX from the
SVN repository, you don't have the \XeTeXmathcode primitive to do
such at thing :)

> But apart from this, I do not think it would
> be a good idea to type something like \mathcal{A.cal}, A.cal is the
> actual
> symbol. And that is why I was thinking about this feature meachism.
> After all, a perfectly legal ASCII LaTeX file should produce
> "identical"
> results when compiled with XeLaTeX and LaTeX.

Ah, here you hit unexplored territory. Probably if you want to be
able to compile identical documents in XeLaTeX and (pdf)LaTeX, it
would be better to create a legacy TFM-based maths font.

On the other hand, if you're interested in maths typesetting using
unicode fonts, my current (unreleased) work will be of interest to
you. You can join a discussion group on the matter if you are
interested in what's going on at the moment.
   <http://groups.google.com/group/unimath>

In short, there are three broad ways of implementing \mathcal-type
commands. One is to use XeTeX font mappings to map the ascii
characters to the mathematical alphabet ranges (this is equivalent to
how LaTeX does it at the moment, with changing the \fam used to
typeset symbols of math class 7).

The other, which I am currently using, is to adjust mathcode values
locally when entering the \mathcal{} group. The least feasible option
is to parse the argument and map characters to their unicode
equivalent, but that way lies madness :)

***

I'm not sure if that helped clarify the matter. I suppose I'm
recommending that if you're interested in creating a unicode maths
font, then if it conforms to the new Microsoft standard for such
things (cf. the Cambria Math font), I will have a package to support
it in the not too distant future.

Alternatively, since XeTeX still works with legacy maths
installations, it might be easier and/or more compatible to do it the
"old fashioned way".

A third option could be to roll your own support, but it depends how
seriously you're thinking about it. If you were looking to do such a
thing, your input or collaboration would be most welcome.

All in all, I hope this helps,
Will