[XeTeX] strange error message after the new installation

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun Jan 14 16:38:03 CET 2007

On 14 Jan 2007, at 2:19 pm, Jeong Dalyoung wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Yesterday I installed the whole TeX system using i-installer(V 2.87).
> It installed TeX system based on TeX-Live in the folder /usr/local/
> gwTeX/...
> I also updated ConTeXt. But I couldn't install XeTeX using i-
> installer. It is looking for the folder /usr/local/teTeX/share/
> texmf.local which is different from the new installation.
> However, XeTeX and XeLaTeX worked fine and the creation of XeConTeXt
> format file was done without any problem(texmfstart texexec --make --
> xetex en).
> But I couldn't compile a XeConTeXt file and the error message as
> follows.
>

> %%%%%%%%%%%%
> $ texmfstart texexec --xetex xetext.tex
> TeXExec | processing document 'xetext.tex'
> TeXExec | no ctx file found
> TeXExec | tex processing method: context
> TeXExec | TeX run 1
> TeXExec | writing option file xetext.top
> TeXExec | using randomseed 976
> TeXExec | tex engine: xetex
> TeXExec | tex format: cont-en
> xetex: unrecognized option `-q'
> xetex: unrecognized option `-E'
> xetex: option `-d' is ambiguous
> This is XeTeX, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.996 (Web2C 7.5.6)
> (WARNING: translate-file "natural.tcx" ignored)
> entering extended mode
> ! I can't find file `4'.
> <*> 4
>        -V 5" xetext.tex emergencyend

This is due to an error in the context script "tex.rb". Find that
script using

   kpsewhich --format=texmfscripts tex.rb

and edit it. Around line 170, you'll find something like

       @@runoptions['xetex']   = ['--output-driver \\\"-d 4 -V 5\\
\"'] # we need the pos pass

which is incorrect. You need to change it to

       @@runoptions['xetex']   = ['--output-driver "xdvipdfmx -q -E -
d 4 -V 5"']

and save the file.

(This has just been fixed by Taco in the ConTeXt sources, so I expect
Gerben's package will include a corrected version soon.)