[XeTeX] BaKoMa OTF

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Jan 10 01:30:48 CET 2007

Am 09.01.2007 um 13:21 schrieb Jonathan Kew:

> On 9 Jan 2007, at 12:14 pm, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>
>> Hello Jonathan!
>>
>> Are these fonts worth as substitutes for the CM-Super PostScript Type
>> 1 fonts, which substitute the usual CM PK fonts: CTAN/fonts/cm/ps-
>> type1/bakoma/otf/?
>>
>> 	cmb10.otf       16-Jun-2005 01:07   18K
>> 	cmbsy5.otf      16-Jun-2005 01:07   24K
> ...etc
>

> I have no idea. Have you tried them to see if the encoding is handled
> correctly (with both xdv2pdf and xdvipdfmx drivers)?

Both handle the fonts identically. The fonts seem to be Unicode
encoded. 7 bit ASCII characters come OK, although in Mac OS X tools
they are shown raised, much too high. The apostrophe is large white
space. Umlauts or accented characters do not appear directly, but it
seems to work to construct them in XeLaTeX as in \`a or \"A.

> What changes to map files would be needed to make the drivers find
> them?

MAP files and XeTeX? Since when? I simply created sym-links in a sub-
directory of ~/Library/Fonts and ran fc-cache.

If the fonts would work better it would be nice if XeTeX could
automatically find them. The family name is "BKM-cm<the usual stuff>"
while the PostScript name is just "cm<the usual stuff>."

With pdffonts I can clearly see that PS Type 1 fonts are used for CM
and "T1C" (PostScript CFF) type when BaKoMa is used. It's no problem
to mix CM, TrueType, AAT, and BaKoMa OTF ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Rain is saved up in cloud banks.