[XeTeX] Glue between ideographs suggested

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Feb 9 09:51:14 CET 2007

On 9 Feb 2007, at 5:42 am, Akira Kakuto wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Without glues between Chinese characters it's quite easy
>> to have overfull or underfull boxes in a line ...
>
> I don't know Chinese, but please try, for example
>
> \XeTeXlinebreaklocale "zh_CN"
> \XeTeXlinebreakskip=0em plus 0.1em minus 0.01em
> \XeTeXlinebreakpenalty=0

Yes, this should allow proper line-breaks to be found, and a little
flexibility so that text can be justified. (If you want to keep the
Chinese characters on a fixed grid, then don't add
\XeTeXlinebreakskip; but in that case, you'll want to make \rightskip
stretchable because some lines may be a character or two short,
depending on the legal break positions.)

I've had some correspondence with Japanese experts about more
advanced spacing rules (especially concerning the spacing around
punctuation in ideographic text), and hope to implement some
additional features in the future, but this should be enough to get
started for straightforward text.

> (line ending should be %LF)

Or it should work to set \endlinechar=-1 to cause line endings in the
input to be ignored.

I'm glad you responded to this, Akira, as I never received the
original post! I see it in the list archives, but it didn't show up
in my email. A bit worrying...... :(