[XeTeX] Emacs (X11) and XeTeX -- success

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Feb 7 12:42:09 CET 2007

Am 07.02.2007 um 04:03 schrieb Martin Steer:

> Will Robertson writes:
>
>> On 05/02/2007, at 8:52 , Peter Dyballa wrote:
>>
>>> No, Stephen, this won't work! Well, it /will/ work as long as the
>>> source is free of errors, but when XeTeX or XeLaTeX hit such an
>>> error, then they'll prompt for some input. Although it's possible to
>>> "input" something into AUCTeX's *output* buffer, this will /not/ be
>>> sent to XeTeX or XeLaTeX. The process will get stuck ...
>>
>> This infuriates me something terrible when I use AUCTeX on Windows at
>> work. Is there a way around it? I can't believe such a vital part of
>> document processing and debugging is inaccessible in the most
>> advanced LaTeX editor...
>
> I don't understand the problem. It is possible to interact with
> latex/xelatex through the output buffer. I can enter 'I', 'R', '?',
> etc. and get an appropriate response. I'm using auctex 11.83.1 on
> linux.

This might also work in Mac OS X. (I finally managed to get my dir
files describe what the info directories contain, so that info now
works accurately – but there's nothing more than in the PDF format
documentation file.) Citing from the AUCTeX info node:

	-- Command: TeX-interactive-mode
	     (`C-c C-t C-i') This command toggles the interactive mode of
	     AUCTeX, a global minor mode.  You can customize
	     `TeX-interactive-mode' to give it a different default.  In
	     interactive mode, TeX will pause with an error prompt when errors
	     are encountered and wait for the user to type something.

So changing the default value of ``TeX-run-command´´ to ``TeX-run-
interactive´´ might give this desired behaviour. Since the options
are not documented I'll make a bug report on this!

Alas, switching TeX-interactive-mode on, did not let me send any
input in GNU Emacs 23.0.0 and in Emacs.app, based on the same code –
it worked in GNU Emacs 22.0.93 and in Carbon Emacs (the Japanese
Package) ... (a second bug report! This day is hourly getting
better!) But: when I used the function send-invisible (the only
completion of send), the x I entered in mini-buffer was sent and
XeLaTeX exited. Another method to send any input does not seem to be
documented ... (a third bug report?)

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete