[XeTeX] fontspec and Italian babel

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Feb 1 10:07:04 CET 2007

Le 1 févr. 07 à 09:34, Nicola Vitacolonna a écrit :

> I have a problem compiling this (Mac OS X):
>
> %!TEX TS-program = xelatex
> %!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
> \documentclass[a4paper]{article}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \setromanfont{Gentium}
> \usepackage[italian]{babel}
> \begin{document}
> Hello!
> \end{document}
> \end
>
> The error is (see the log below):
>
> No file LGRlmr.fd.
> ! LaTeX Error: This NFSS system isn't set up properly.
>
> Apparently, there is a conflict between fontspec and babel loaded
> with the italian option: if I comment out either package I can get it
> compiled. I have no such problem with other languages. Is this a bug?

Try loading fontspec with the [cm-default] option. That works here,
XeLaTeX looks for lgrcmr.fd, which exists, instead of lgrlmr.fd,
which doesn't.

 From what I've seen on this list, I got the impression that the
current default choice of the Latin Modern fonts by fontspec, instead
of the former default choice of Computer Modern, which is also the
LaTeX default, is creating more problems than it solves. Especially
since it seems many packages out there expect this default choice of
CM. Maybe compatibility should be favored, to the detriment of
functionality. Will, what do you think?

Bruno Voisin