[XeTeX] acceding to unicode characters table

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Dec 12 16:45:02 CET 2007

On 12 Dec 2007, at 8:31 am, raven aloof wrote:

> Hi...
>
> I bought 'CombiNumeralsPro' and I wonder how I can use with
> XeLaTex ...
>
> 'CombiNumeralsPro' come in 'pfb', which he transformed to 'otf'
> with a small script for 'fontforge'. The question is that I do not
> know how to get the different characters to use unicode with XeTeX.
> Are there any macro (Xe(La)TeX) to print the table unicode these
> fonts?...

I don't know of anything that does exactly that. In principle, you
could write a loop that runs through all possible Unicode values,
checks with \iffontchar to see if they are present in the font, and
then prints the ones that exist. But that's really inefficient. Why
not just look in FontForge?

> My intention is to make a package similar to 'pifont' and the
> environment 'dingautolist' ( 'CombiNumeralsPro' exceeds 'pifont' to
> the composition of numbers), but for this, need to know how to
> access the characters...

\char will access any character number, so you just need to know the
Unicode values of the characters you want. Is the font Unicode-
compliant? If so, just refer to the Unicode standard itself -- eg.,
see http://www.unicode.org/charts. If not, you'll have to examine the
font somehow (eg, FontForge); xetex is not really a font-inspection
tool.

> He looked macros XeTeXOT (...), but not get anything...

The \XeTeXOT.... primitives give low-level access to explore the
OpenType layout features in the font (probably none, if this was
originally a .pfb font and hasn't been "enhanced"). That's different
from determining what character codes are supported.