[XeTeX] Hoefler Text and Guillemets

Alex Hamann Alexander.Hamann at stud-mail.uni-wuerzburg.de
Tue Dec 4 10:06:30 CET 2007

Am 04.12.2007 um 08:56 schrieb Maximilian Wollner:

> Hello,
>

> at first I want to thank you for developing XeTeX, it is a great
> thing (application?) and finally convinced me to switch to LaTeX. I
> don't like the typical LaTeX-looks and being a OS X user I am happy
> to be able to use the great variety of really good fonts in LaTeX/
> XeTeX.
>
> Currently I am using Memoir (to easily change the standard looks) and
> LyX (being a very typical OS X user I like to do as much as possible
> with the mouse and concentrate on the content rather than remembering
> proper commands :)) and Hoefler Text. I am facing two problems:
>
> 1. When writing italics, a ß in a German text (http://
> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ß or http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eszett) can
> not be displayed in italic but is displayed in regular shape instead.
> I consider this rather a bug and I think I can work around it and
> simply avoid using ß in italics but still wanted to mention it.

this seems weird. I can not reproduce this. can you post a minimal
example?

> 2. I use German (not French or Swiss) Guillemets as speech marks
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillemets or http://de.wikipedia.org/
> wiki/Guillemets) and it works fine for the »double ones« but having
> to insert citations inside citations sometimes I want to use the
> ›simple ones‹ I don not get the desired output but instead get
> somthing like this: As Lewis showed: »Political authority was rather
>> simple<, as it (...)« Whats wrong here and how can I avoid it?

I just tested this an can confirm the behaviour. I am using  the
csquotes-package wich is very nice for formating citations.
Guillemets within another citation are indeed displayed as > and <
while the outer ones are correctly set as »«
When changing the option "guillemets" in csquotes-package the normal
quotes (") are displayed correctly.

alex