[XeTeX] Hoefler Text and Guillemets

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Tue Dec 4 09:43:15 CET 2007

> 1. When writing italics, a ß in a German text (http://
> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ß or http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eszett) can
> not be displayed in italic but is displayed in regular shape instead.

  That's rather odd.  Could you send the exact file you're processing
(the TeX source file -- I have no idea how you can see it in LyX but it
should be available)?

> I consider this rather a bug and I think I can work around it and
> simply avoid using ß in italics but still wanted to mention it.

  It sounds like a bug in LyX but we really would have to see your
source file for more information.

> 2. I use German (not French or Swiss) Guillemets as speech marks

  I didn't know there was any difference.  At any rate, they're
considered the same Unicode character so if you want to make a
distinction, you would have to choose a proper font (I don't know if
Hoefler suits your needs).

>               I don not get the desired output but instead get
> somthing like this: As Lewis showed: »Political authority was rather
>  >simple<, as it (...)« Whats wrong here and how can I avoid it?

  You mean in the PDF file, you seen “greater than” and “less than”
signs instead of the simple guillemets?  Again, that's curious but the
TeX source would really help.  And maybe the PDF output as well.

> (Disclaimer: I hope, all characters display correctly in your email
> clients.

  Your e-mail was correctly encoded using Unicode, don't worry.  Many
users probably don't have the fonts to display all the characters, but
for those who have it's perfectly correct.

	Arthur