[XeTeX] from teTeX-3.0 to TeXLive 2007

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Aug 22 12:52:34 CEST 2007

On 22 Aug 2007, at 10:33 am, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 22 août 07 à 10:55, Peter Dyballa a écrit :
>
>> Am 20.08.2007 um 19:32 schrieb Pablo Rodríguez:
>>
>>> BTW, the other issue with page size seems to be that XeLaTeX
>>> overrides
>>> the geometry page size specifications if dvipdfm is the selected
>>> driver
>>> for geometry:
>>>
>>> \documentclass[12pt]{article}
>>> \usepackage[dvipdfm,a5paper]{geometry}
>>> \begin{document}
>>> Hi, this is a test.
>>> \end{document}
>>>
>>> This might also be a bug.
>>
>> No, it's not. XeTeX writes a \special into the XDV file: pdf:pagesize
>> width 423.94606pt height 597.50787pt. Both xdv2pdf and xdvipdfmx seem
>> to read, understand, and apply this.
>
> I'm not sure that's true any longer. XeTeX now uses the same
> \pdfpagewidth and \pdfpageheight primitives as pdfTeX, and as a
> consequence TeXLive-2007 includes a special configuration file tex/
> xelatex/xetexconfig/geometry.cfg which, when read by XeLaTeX,
> specifies the pdftex driver.

Ah yes.... but the effect of setting \pdfpagewidth and \pdfpageheight
is that xetex automatically inserts the papersize \special into
the .xdv output -- that's how it passes the information on to the
driver.

(I think Peter must be using a recent (post-TeXLive) development
version, as the form of the special has recently been changed and
he's quoting the new one.)

> On my Mac:
>
> theo9mc182:~ bvoisin$ kpsewhich --progname=xelatex geometry.cfg
> /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/xelatex/xetexconfig/
> geometry.cfg
>
> As a consequence, don't specify the dvipdfm option. Let TeXLive-2207'
> intelligent XeTeX integration take care of selecting the appropriate
> geometry driver file for you.

Right, it should work automatically.