[XeTeX] from teTeX-3.0 to TeXLive 2007

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Aug 20 16:58:09 CEST 2007

Le 20 août 07 à 11:53, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

> On 20 Aug 2007, at 10:28 am, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>
>> Then, if Latin Modern is indeed fontspec's default choice of fonts
>> when none are specified by the user -- and the [cm-default] option
>> isn't used --, why aren't fontspec and/or xdv2pdf set up to find them
>> by default?
>
> The trouble is that fontspec's default is to load the LM fonts *by
> filename* rather than by font name, and xdv2pdf doesn't support this.

In order to try to understand that, I have been looking at
fontspec.sty and could not find any explicit call to a specific font
file such as lmroman10-regular(.otf).

It seems fontspec calls by default the lmodern package with uses the
standard way of calling fonts, as specified in ly1-lmr.fd for
example, namely through TFM files such as texnansi-lmr10.tfm. But
then I would have expected lm-texnansi.map to be used, which calls in
turn lmr10.pfb.

Accordingly, I could not identify what specifies (i) use of OpenType
font files instead of PFB font files and (ii) call of the font by
file name instead of font name.

I think the problem is, simply, that I stopped following the detail
of the evolutions of fontspec and XeTeX at some point, and now I'm a
bit lost when anything doesn't work at first try. Thus it's probably
best to just ignore my comments, and I'll refrain from making others
until I find time (if ever) to look at things in detail.

Bruno Voisin