[XeTeX] Problem with ITC Stone Sans Std

Cyril Niklaus cyril.niklaus at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 16:18:36 CEST 2007

On 16 août 07, at 21:14, William Adams wrote:

> On Aug 16, 2007, at 7:09 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>

>> On 16 Aug 2007, at 9:47 am, Cyril Niklaus wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> I'm trying to use ITC Stone Sans Std in one of my documents, but
>>> if I
>>> specify the font like this:
>>> \setsansfont[Scale=MatchLowercase]{ITC Stone Sans Std}, the font
>>> selected is ITC Stone Sans Std Phonetic, not the Medium. And since
>>> the Phonetic only has a few glyphs, problems arise.
>>> I know that by specifying Medium, the right font is selected, but I
>>> was curious to know if anyone here would venture a guess as to why
>>> the Phonetic fonts gets selected by default.
>>>
>>> ITC Stone Sans Std otf, 2003 Adobe.
>>

>> I don't have a copy of this font family, so can't look at it in
>> detail to see if there would be ways to improve the heuristics xetex
>> uses when you just specify a family name. I guess both the "Medium"
>> and "Phonetic" faces share the same family name and both have
>> "regular"-looking style bits, so xetex can't reliably tell which one
>> it should pick as the default face for that family.

Looking at those fonts with FontLab :
Family Name : ITC Stone Sans Std Medium
Style Name : Regular
Font Name and Full Name : StoneSansStd-Phonetic

Family Name : ITC Stone Sans Std Phonetic
Style Name : Regular
Font Name and Full Name : StoneSansStd-Medium

So there is no overlapping of names, besides the Style Name.

> There're a number of fonts which have this difficulty --- ornaments
> and border fonts can also cause it --- I posted a list of fonts I'd
> tried out a while back. Naming the text face explicitly is the work-
> around for now.
Indeed, it's what I found out. Mail.app 's idea of searching being
what it is, I haven't yet found your post, but I'll keep looking.

Thanks
Cyril