[XeTeX] "new-babel", was: Ancient Greek hyphenation

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Mon Apr 23 21:50:29 CEST 2007

> There's a difference, I think, between switching language (which
> affects hyphenation, and possibly some low-level details of
> rendering), and switching script (which happens at some language
> changes, but not all). Maybe this needs to be more explicitly part of
> the model.

  Right, this is something I've never found quite satisfactory (I mean
on a theoretical point of view) with the way things work currently with
Babel. On the other hand, if you take the Latin script (or the Cyrillic
or Arabic, for that matter), we're far from having any font that covers
every possible language, so it's still desirable to set a default font
when switching languages.