[XeTeX] xdvipdfmx broken on Windows Vista?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Apr 23 13:08:51 CEST 2007

Le 23 avr. 07 à 12:05, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

> We need to check if the same problem exists with latest xdvipdfmx
> from svn on other platforms; it may be a general issue, not only
> Windows. Note that Toralf is running an older version on Mac OS X
> where his file works OK.

I tried to test here on the Mac, compiling from the SVN tarball
<http://scripts.sil.org/svn-view/xdvipdfmx/TRUNK.tar.gz?view=tar>
before and after applying to it the patch mentioned in <http://
tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2007-March/006073.html>.

I attempted to use the sequence:

$ sh configure --with-kpathsea=/usr/local/gwTeX --with-ft2lib=/usr/
local/lib/libfreetype.a --with-ft2include=/usr/local/include/freetype2
$ make
$ sudo make install

where the kpathsea libraries have been installed with gwTeX.

Alas! On an Intel Mac (MacPro, 2 Dual-Core Xeons), configure failed
with:

checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... no
checking for char... yes
checking size of char... configure: error: cannot compute sizeof
(char), 77
See `config.log' for more details.

And on a PPC Mac (PowerBook G4), configure proceeded but make failed
with:

powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: /usr/local/lib/libpng12.dylib: No
such file or directory
make[2]: *** [xdvipdfmx] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

Indeed, looking at the ReadMe for i-Installer's installation of
libpng, I can see:

2006/04/06:
• Completely removed the dynamic libraries. I have had one serious
report about Apple software like Finder and Safari going haywire in
Mac OS X 10.4.6 when there are standard open source libpng dylibs
available in /usr/local/lib. The error turned out to be the result of
the user fiddling with environment.plist, but I decided to remove the
dylibs anyway.

Thus it seems compilation of xdvipdfmx on the Mac is presently
broken. Or did I miss something obvious?

Bruno Voisin