[XeTeX] "new-babel", was: Ancient Greek hyphenation

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 12:07:21 CEST 2007

On 4/23/07, Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> wrote:

> > Goes without saying, on this list :)
> > I guess that'll upset the LuaTeX-like people.
>
> While the LuaTeX engine does not know about font encodings at all, we
> _do_ promote the use of Unicode. All the experimental LuaTeX code we
> have written ourselves not only uses UTF-8 as a file format, but
> assumes that encodes Unicode, and our font setups use Unicode encoding.

Oh, great! I should have assumed it, really.

Looking forward, I can't see unicode being usurped, so I think if
we're considering new ways of doing things it's hardly worth the
effort of designing things to be backwards compatible with deprecated
font encodings.

Now that I think of it, though, we can still define everything in
terms of unicode and use font mappings in XeTeX or OTPs (? or
whatever) in LuaTeX to convert the output to [old weird font encoding
of your choice]. Hadn't thought of that.

So we're all good. Unicode all the way.

Will