[XeTeX] xdvipdfmx broken on Windows Vista?

caapv 208 caapv208 at yahoo.co.jp
Sun Apr 22 22:55:22 CEST 2007

--- Toralf Senger <Senger at mpimp-golm.mpg.de> wrote:

> Hello SMiyata,

Hello.

> >Are you sure you are embedding *only* PDFs into
> PDF?
>
> Yes! It was a simple document, including only what
> is required (\usepackage[dvipdfmx]{graphics})
> JPG are perfectly included, just PDS are not.

This is a useful info!  xdvipdfmx accepts 3 ways of
  \usepackage[dvipdfm]{graphics}
means you can include PDFs, JPGs and PNGs if you
supply bounding box informations (e.g. .bb files).
  \usepackage[dvipdfmx]{graphics}
means in addition to the above, you can include EPSs
The bounding box information for a EPS can be directly
read from the file, so you don't have to supply .bb
files for EPSs.  *AND*, for images in other formats,
compilers erroneously considers them as EPSs if bounding
boxes are not available.
  \usepackage[xetex]{graphics}
is equivalent to
  \usepackage{graphics}
and you can include PDFs, JPGs and PNGs without
supplying bounding box informations with this option.
However, you cannot include EPSs.

> To my knowledge, dvipdfmx treats PFDs as EPS/PS
> files. So when you say you broke EPS embedding, I am
> 99% sure that is exactly what is causing my problem.

xdvipdfmx includes PDFs directly.  It can convert EPSs
into PDFs on the fly to include them.

> Thanks for your help!
> Toralf

Regards,