[XeTeX] "new-babel", was: Ancient Greek hyphenation

François Charette firmicus at ankabut.net
Sat Apr 21 14:52:26 CEST 2007

I agree with Will that before creating an "xbabel taskforce" we should
certainly exchange some thoughts and do some serious brainstorming with
people like Javier Besos, Alexej and others. But I don't think we should
just simply revamp Babel to make it compatible with XeTeX. It would be
better IMHO to implement a package (or collection of packages) for
multilingual typesetting  with XeTeX that is as modular, light-weight
and flexible as possible. It should not impose rigid norms on the user.
I am no Babel expert, but what I know of it makes me believe Bruno is
right: starting more or less from scratch will probably pay off much
more in the long-run.

> This is interesting, though.
> What exactly would a new babel package perform?
> I think Bruno is on the right track with wanting to eliminate the
> formatting-changing aspects of the package, since that is pretty
> fragile when you start talking about changing other packages and
> document classes.
>
> I don't write multilingual documents, but it seems to me there's only
> a couple of things required: hyphenation, and optionally font-
> switching. XeTeX's new "auto font switch" idea (in the svn
> repository) should be incorporated. And that should all be bundled up
> in the \foreignlanguage--type commands.
>
> But what have I missed? Because the babel packages can get pretty
> complicated. It looks to me like there's more effect stripping back
> the existing ones than creating new ones from scratch...
>
> Will

For the very same reasons I would tend to think the opposite :-)

François