[XeTeX] New Hyphenation for Phonemic Orthographies for English?

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Apr 21 11:33:57 CEST 2007

On 20 Apr 2007, at 9:31 pm, Kenneth Reid Beesley wrote:

> What's the best way to go about it?  I'm acquainted with the old
>
> \hyphenation {  ...  }
>
> command,

\hyphenation is fine for a small number (dozens, maybe a few hundred)
of specific words, but if you want to hyphenate large amounts of
text, you'll want to define \patterns (which then need to be
installed at format-creation time). See Appendix H of The TeXbook for
details about hyphenation patterns (and of course there are a bunch
of examples included with TeX distributions, though most of them are
almost completely undocumented!).

> but it doesn't seem to work with UTF-8.

It doesn't? It should! Though you may need to ensure that all the
relevant characters are being seen as "letter" by TeX, which means
making sure they have non-zero \lccode.

If you think it's not working as it should, can you provide a minimal
example file?