[XeTeX] OT: CLI tool to query a font for designer, trademark and other information

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Thu Apr 19 15:16:06 CEST 2007

On Apr 19, 2007, at 8:39 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> You could use ftxdumperfuser (from Apple's font tool suite) to dump
> the 'name' table, and find the relevant entry there. Not all that
> different from using ttx, though. (Are you sure fontforge doesn't let
> you view all the names?)

Not from the scripting interface AFAICT. I'd love to be wrong and
will look again (or, heh, heh, I'll just pester George Williams on
that list)

>> Failing that, would it be feasible to have XeTeX do so? (say have a
>> command \xetexfontdesigner which queries the font file information
>> and provides the contents of the designer field if present)
>
> No, I don't think I want to clutter XeTeX with commands that aren't
> relevant to the process of actually setting type on paper. In
> principle, there's a *long* list of pieces of information you might
> want from a font -- not just designer, but version info, license,
> copyright, dates, etc, etc. But unless they're somehow relevant to
> actually using the font within XeTeX, I don't think this is the way
> to go. You want a font editor/inspector, not a typesetting tool.

Except that what I want to do is typeset a bunch of font samples
automatically --- being able to directly place version info from a
font would be kind of handy for later reference too, but I understand
that this is a kind of bizarre and really specialized feature.

I'll shelve the idea of doing it automagically for now and just
handle it manually.

Thanks!

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.