[XeTeX] MacTex install - no math symbols

baptiste Auguié ba208 at exeter.ac.uk
Fri Apr 13 16:22:45 CEST 2007

On 13 Apr 2007, at 14:37, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> Some approaches to dealing with this:
> * remove /sw entirely, if you no longer need any of the fink stuff
> you've installed in the past
> * temporarily rename /sw so that it won't be found, to see if this is
> really causing the trouble

Just done that, and it works perfectly!

> * just remove all TeX-related binaries from /sw/bin, or use the fink
> package manager to remove them

This package manager keeps failing/freezing when trying to update for
some reason. But that's another problem.

> * change your .profile or .bashrc or whatever startup file sets the
> path (depending on the shell you use) to ensure that /usr/texbin
> comes *before* /sw/bin

Strangely enough, neither of these seem to have any effect when I
alter their content. Maybe I didn't look for the right ones (home
directory).

> Once you've gotten the fink stuff out of the way, it might be good to
> remove the (hidden) .texlive2007 directory tree from your home
> folder, so that the formats and other files there get re-created
> without mixing up the tex distributions.

Done, though I do not quite understand how it all works. It's all
rather confusing.

> HTH,
>
> JK

  Problem solved!
Many thanks for this quick and insightful response!

baptiste