[XeTeX] xdvipdfmx segfault

Ling F. Zhang lingfengz at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 12 22:31:16 CEST 2007

I have a very simple tex file I am testing out with xelatex:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\XeTeXlinebreaklocale "zh"
\XeTeXlinebreakskip = 0pt plus 1pt minus 0.1pt
%\setromanfont{AR PL New Kai}
\begin{document}
This is simple English
\end{document}

Notice the line that is commented out: xelatex correctly produced the pdf file if the line is commented out. I tried several other fonts, same result. I am fairly sure that there is no license issue with this font (ftp://ftp.opendesktop.org.tw/odp/ODOFonts/OpenFonts/).

with the line commented out, I have:
stdin -> xetex-utf8.pdf
[1]
3381 bytes written
Output written on xetex-utf8.pdf (1 page).
Transcript written on xetex-utf8.log.

With the setromandfont uncomment, I have:
stdin -> xetex-utf8.pdf
[1
** NOTICE: This document contains a `Preview & Print only' licensed font **
Output written on xetex-utf8.pdf (1 page).
Transcript written on xetex-utf8.log.

So, I look into this further. Looks like xelatex -no-pdf produces .xdv file for both, but xdvipdfmx seg. fault with one of them:

$ xdvipdfmx -E -vv xetex-utf8.xdv
DVI Comment:  XeTeX output 2007.04.12:1325
xetex-utf8.xdv -> xetex-utf8.pdf
[1<AR-PL-New-Kai(AR PL New Kai:Regular)@9.96pt<NATIVE-FONTMAP:AR-PL-New-Kai/H>
fontmap: AR-PL-New-Kai/H -> /usr/local/share/fonts/odofonts/odokai.ttf(Identity-H)

pdf_font>> Input encoding "Identity-H" requires at least 2 bytes.
pdf_font>> The -m <00> option will be assumed for "/usr/local/share/fonts/odofonts/odokai.ttf".

** NOTICE: This document contains a `Preview & Print only' licensed font **
(CID:AR-PL-New-Kai)
pdf_font>> Type0 font "/usr/local/share/fonts/odofonts/odokai.ttf" cmap_id=<Identity-H,0> opened at font_id=<AR-PL-New-Kai/H,0>.
>Segmentation fault

Anyone?

p.s. I am not using xdv2pdf because for some reason my distro (gentoo)'s xetex doesn't have that executable. I just want to figure out why xdvipdfmx doesn't work.