[XeTeX] PS output?

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Apr 11 21:31:54 CEST 2007

On 11 Apr 2007, at 4:45 pm, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I guess the answer is no,

You guess correctly.

> but would it be possible to have PostScript
> output when processing a XeLaTeX source without having to convert it
> from PDF? I mean, is it possible to have a PostScript file from xetex
> directly?

No. This would require extending dvips (or something similar) to
handle xetex's "extended dvi" output, along with the necessary font
management, etc. It seems to me that if you need PostScript, you
should be able to generate it from PDF without too much difficulty,
so creating an additional driver does not seem a high priority. I'd
prefer to put the effort into improving xetex itself and xdvipdfmx.

Of course, anyone who wishes to have such a driver is welcome to work
on it.... :)