[XeTeX] First four characters dropped?

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Sep 27 08:46:03 CEST 2006

On 27 Sep 2006, at 4:30 am, Nick Soban wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to XeTeX and LaTeX in general and so far it's been pretty
> smooth sailing. I installed XeTeX 0.95 using the i-Installer and have
> only one real problem. When I typeset a document using the default cmr
> font the first four characters on the page will be dropped after the
> text gets beyond a certain length (approximately over 1200
> characters). If I change
> the font to one of the built in OS X fonts there's absolutely no
> problem. I'd really like to get the default to work, if for no other
> reason than I can't run any documents using XeTeX without changing the
> default font. Has anyone else encountered this problem or have a work
> around?

That's really bizarre -- I've never heard of anything like that, and
can't think of a plausible reason offhand.

Are you using TeXShop for editing the input text and running the
typesetting process, or other "front-end" tools?

Could you send me (off-list is fine) a small but complete input file
that exhibits this behavior when you typeset it (keep it simple, but
long enough that you get the problem), along with the .log file that
it creates, and the .pdf output? Thanks!