[XeTeX] xdvipdfmx doesn't seem to respect PDF crop areas

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Sat Sep 23 00:49:35 CEST 2006

Hello all,

I have made a test case which replicates my problem.

It looks like the layout is performed taking the bounding box into
account (e.g. the spacing of surrounding text is correct for the
bounding box), and the PDF figure has the proper bounding box (e.g.
the area of the pdf outside the bounding box is not drawn). What is
incorrect is that the PDF is placed in the layout so that the lower-
left corner of the full PDF area is at the lower-left corner of the
layout box for the graphics. (Not sure of the correct term here.)
What should be happening of course is that the lower-left corner of
the *bounding box* for the PDF is placed at the lower-left of the
layout box.

The test case is:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{graphicx}

\begin{document}
Some text.
\includegraphics{figure}
%\includegraphics{figure-nocrop}
More text.
\end{document}

(The two test PDFs, figure.pdf and figure-nocrop.pdf, are attached.)
If figure-nocrop is included, then XeLaTeX and XeLaTeX+xdvipdfmx give
identical output. If figure is included, then XeLaTeX+xdvipdfmx has
the problem specified above.

Thanks again Akira and Jonathan for your help; sorry I was imprecise
earlier in specifying the exact problem. Hopefully this will help!

Zach