[XeTeX] inconsistant kerning

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Sep 22 18:34:12 CEST 2006

On 22 Sep 2006, at 5:15 pm, Steve Grathwohl wrote:

> OK, speaking of Juncode...
>
> if I say
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \setromanfont{Junicode}
>
> \begin{document}
> \textsc{first}
> \end{document}
>
> I get fiRST; that is, lowercase fi lig then smallcap RST. What's
> going on here? I haven't seen this behavior in any other font.

This indicates that the lookups are incorrectly ordered in the font.
You should report this as a bug to the font developer. You'll see the
same effect if you use it in TextEdit, for example (where you can
access the Small Capitals feature via the Typography palette).

XeTeX is simply applying the lookups in the order they're found in
the font, which is what the OpenType spec says to do (though some
applications may override the order and thus mask the error). So if
the lookup that implements the "fi" ligature comes before the one
that maps lowercase letters to small caps, you'll see a result like
this.

> For the record, my XeTeX is getting a bit gamey (version .995 for
> Windows, grabbed late July; will upgrade RSN).

Upgrading is good :) ... but I don't think it will have any effect on
this issue. There have been some bug-fixes since July, but unless
you're affected by those specific bugs, you won't notice anything.