[XeTeX] local forms

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Fri Sep 22 15:37:16 CEST 2006

Jonathan Kew wrote:
> On 22 Sep 2006, at 1:47 pm, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>
>> The problem here is that the font has these locl substitutions defined
>> for the Latin script and there for the default language (that is,
>> latin{dflt}. I don't know if XeTeX should apply these substitutions
>> when
>>  defining \foreignlanguage{greek} and selecting polunikogreek as an
>> option in babel.
>
> There is not currently any linkage between "language" as defined by
> Babel and "language" as a XeTeX/fontspec font attribute.
>
> (If Babel can be configured to automatically change fonts when you
> change language, then presumably you could switch to a separate
> instance of the font with different features activated, but I don't
> know whether such a mechanism actually exists.)

In order to get its legacy encoding when working with Greek, babel adds
two commands \greektext and \latintext (which I have to empty in order
to use them with XeTeX).

I guess all it should be done is redefining these commands so that they
will be able to switch scripts. Is it possible to switch the script
without having to select a font?

Pablo