[XeTeX] Problem deciding Family Names

Adam Twardoch list.adam at twardoch.com
Wed Sep 20 15:36:30 CEST 2006

Jjgod Jiang wrote:
 > do you think the output
 > fontconfig produces is correct? That is,
 >
 > Adobe Ming Std,Adobe 明體 Std L,Adobe Ming Std L:style=L,Regular

It looks a bit weird. I don't really understand the syntax. The
fontconfig documentation on the web doesn't tell me anything about
comma-separated family or style variants. However, just using simple
logic, I would actually expect to see there something like:

Adobe 明體 Std,Adobe Ming Std,Adobe 明體 Std L,Adobe Ming Std
L:style=L,L,Regular,Regular

or

Adobe 明體 Std,Adobe Ming Std,Adobe 明體 Std L,Adobe Ming Std
L:style=L,Regular

It certainly is disturbing that the fontconfig output doesn't list
"Adobe 明體 Std", which should be the *first* and most specific family
name to look for.

--

Adam Twardoch