[XeTeX] Problem deciding Family Names

Jjgod Jiang gzjjgod at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 13:58:40 CEST 2006

I'm running XeTeX compiled from latest SVN code.

In a recent experiment with Adobe Ming Std Light font
(which is freely available with Adobe Reader, in
Acrobat/Resources/CIDFont directory), I found that
XeTeX cannot work properly with it, here is a simple
file for testing:

% foo.tex
\font\1="Adobe Ming Std"
\1 Hello
\bye

When I type 'xetex foo.tex', XeTeX (xdvipdfmx, actually)
reports:

** ERROR ** Cannot proceed without the "native" font:
AdobeMingStd-Light (Adobe Ã÷ów Std L)...

So the problems is: XeTeX finds the font successfully while
xdvipdfmx failed. After some debugging work, I found the
actual fontconfig operation is looking for a font whose
family name = "Adobe Ã÷ów Std" and style name = "L", but
according to my fc-list:

> fc-list | grep Adobe
Adobe Ming Std,Adobe Ã÷ów Std L,Adobe Ming Std L:style=L,Regular

We can see the family name is wrong, it should be
"Adobe Ã÷ów Std L", not "Adobe Ã÷ów Std". (I've written
a simple fontconfig program to verify this, see 'test.c'
attached. test "Adobe Ã÷ów Std L" L returns 1 match while
test "Adobe Ã÷ów Std" L returns no match)

Then I found out that XeTeXFontMgr_FC.cpp uses a different
mechanism to determinate family names for SFNT fonts.
"Adobe Ã÷ów Std" is introduced here. The preferred family
names override the original family names, which made
fontconfig unable to find a correct font.

(Yes I understand, it definitely is a bug of the font,
which should not have such a perferred family name)