[XeTeX] Nested \textit in an italic fontinstance

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 13:58:18 CEST 2006

On 13/09/2006, at 20:49 , William Adams wrote:

> It's exactly the behaviour I want when dealing with families like
> Helvetica Neue or Univers or Frutiger --- it's been on my list to
> play with for a while now....

Have you read my fontspec TUGboat paper? I've got vague plans in the
future to support multiple bold fonts via some extension to the NFSS.
At this stage, the syntax'll be something like
   \fontspec[
     LightFont=* UltraLight,
     LightFont=* Light,
     BoldFont=* Demi,
     BoldFont=* Bold,
     BoldFont=* Black,
             ]{MyFontName}
although no code has even been written yet :)
Then you'll have some sort of document syntax like
   \fontweight{+1}
   \fontweight{-1}
   \fontweight{Light}
but obviously nothing's set in stone.

I also wonder how to accommodate different widths, but I hesitate to
add that to the mix as well. The range is never complete enough that
you could move between them reliably except in rare cases (e.g.,
having this result in an actual font every time:
   \fontweight{+1}
   \fontwidth{-1}
   \fontweight{-2}
   \fontwidth{-1}