[XeTeX] performance on Windows machines

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Sep 12 09:22:10 CEST 2006

Peter Dyballa wrote:
> Am 11.09.2006 um 18:47 schrieb William Adams:
>

>> does anyone have any perspective on how much faster a Celeron-500
>> will be over a Pentium/MMX-233 for running XeTeX?
>>

> A Celeron is a badly performing Pentium, one that is OK for running
> so-called office software and maybe an eMail client, too. I would not
> wonder if it even misses the MMX extension and a few registers. I
> would need to look up some information on the intel site for a better
> estimation than 1-1.5.

not all celerons are that bad, some are just slightly less powerfull
(less cache) but there to be able to compete in areas where less money
si to be spent

also, since we're talking tex here, a rather stupid processor is not
that much a disadvantage (a 1.2 gig p3 runs tex as fast as a 2 gig p4)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE