[XeTeX] performance on Windows machines

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Sep 11 23:58:59 CEST 2006

Am 11.09.2006 um 18:47 schrieb William Adams:

> does anyone have any perspective on how much faster a Celeron-500
> will be over a Pentium/MMX-233 for running XeTeX?

A Celeron is a badly performing Pentium, one that is OK for running
so-called office software and maybe an eMail client, too. I would not
wonder if it even misses the MMX extension and a few registers. I
would need to look up some information on the intel site for a better
estimation than 1-1.5.

William, can you check whether a low power/low voltage, i.e.
"portables" Pentium fits in the socket or on the main board? These
low power Pentiums are the ancestors of the recent Duo Cores!
Although I think that a 500 MHz version would be an U.S.A. design and
not that well performing (while the Duo Core's parents and they
themselves are Israelian design), but better than a Celeron at the
same speed.

Two big problems exist: voltage and pin-out. The smaller problems are
buses (protocols, voltage levels) and their speeds.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?"
                                             - Tom Stoppard