[XeTeX] Greek Unicode fonts for (Xe)TeX use

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Tue Sep 5 00:17:28 CEST 2006

Malte Rosenau wrote:
> Pablo wrote:
>
>> I'm not aware of any problem with Gentium (it lacks bold versions, small
>> caps and probably other things, but these are obvious). I would like to
>> know which problems it has.
>
> There are no technical problems AFAIK, but the design itself makes it not a very
> useful typeface. It sure is beautiful, but it has a very small x-height, it doesn't
> blend well with other fonts and looks best at large font sizes. Not an ideal situation
> for academic typesetting...

I had typeset my own PhD thesis using Gentium (with Omega) and I am
satisfied with the results. I actually typeset the PhD with cm-lgc and
pdflatex, but I switched it to Gentium and Omega to submit it to
electronic publishing (just in case you wonder .

>> The GFS fonts have some issues.
> I couldn't agree more. Even the bounding box data in some fonts is faulty.
> This is all really annoying. The overall design of the GFS fonts is excellent,
> but this was undermined by someone's sloppiness.

Na ja, der Teufel steckt im Detail, nicht wahr? (the devil is in the
details).

The thing here is that the Greek Font Society designers are good font
designers, but I'm afraid that this doesn't necessarily mean that they
master their font editor program (FontLab 5). Drawing glyphs (even with
a computer) is not exactly the same than developing a font.

Schade! (What a pity!),

Pablo