[XeTeX] Greek Unicode fonts for (Xe)TeX use

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Mon Sep 4 20:17:23 CEST 2006

Jonathan Kew wrote:
> On 4 Sep 2006, at 1:12 pm, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>
>> Palatino Linotype has also some problems with kerning. "\emph{V},"
>> output such a result as it were a blank space between V and the comma.
>
> I haven't looked at most of the issues mentioned (and don't have all
> those fonts), but this one in particular caught my eye. Part, at
> least, of the problem in this example is that the V and comma would
> be in two different fonts (italic and regular), and therefore there
> cannot be a kern pair defined for this combination (either in the
> traditional TeX world, where they would have two different TFM files,
> or in XeTeX where separate GPOS tables would be used; neither
> technology provides for automatic kerning across a font-change).

Jonathan is right and I was wrong. There is no kerning pair between
\emph{V} and comma and this is not a bug in the font design, but an
unfortunate combination.

> According to some typographers, punctuation should be set in the same
> font as the word it follows; that would suggest
> "\emph{V,}", which probably looks better. (But I can understand that
> "\emph{V}," might be preferred, at least in some situations.)

My personal opinion on this concrete rule is only emphasize the
expressions that need to be emphasized. In "\emph{KrV}," KrV is an
acronym-abbreviation for a work (the German original of the “Critique of
Pure Reason”) and the comma separates a different concept (like page
number). But this has the collateral effect of unwanted spacing.

I hope it helps,

Pablo