[XeTeX] XeTeX \magnification issues

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Sep 4 10:53:38 CEST 2006

On 4 Sep 2006, at 9:00 am, Pierre Vanhove wrote:

> Hello
>
> When typsetting a document with XeTeX  and using a \magnification
> such as \magstep1 or higher, the position of the letters of the words
> are positionned correctly.
> The problem does not occur with XeLaTeX.
>
> Why is this happening and how can this be fixed?

Hi Pierre,

Thanks for the report. I just recently noticed this issue too (it's a
bug that has probably been that way for a long time, but I don't
normally use magnification like this). It looks like an error in the
xdv2pdf driver that creates the PDF file.

A possible workaround seems to be to use the xdvipdfmx driver instead
of xdv2pdf; you can do this by calling xetex with a command such as

   xetex -output-driver="xdvipdfmx -q -E" myfile.tex

at the command line, or using a TeXShop engine with a similar
command. I get correct output from your example using this technique.

I'll try to look into the xdv2pdf bug soon, and fix it for the next
update.