[XeTeX] problems with hyperref \url box

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Sep 4 10:47:46 CEST 2006

On 4 Sep 2006, at 12:03 am, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> On 3 Sep 2006, at 11:50 pm, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>
>> I have tried to compile this document with XeLaTeX:
>>
>> \documentclass[a5paper,12pt,twoside]{article}
>> \usepackage{hyperref}
>>
>> \begin{document}
>> \begin{description}
>> \item[E-Mail] \url{user at domain.com}.
>>
>> \item[Website] \url{http://www.domain.com}.
>> \end{description}
>> \end{document}
>>
>> And for some strange reason I get the following errors:
>>
>> ! Extended mathchar used as mathchar (2097151).
>> <to be read again>
>>                    <
>> l.6 \item[E-Mail] \url{user at domain.com}

Sorry, this is definitely a bug in xetex 0.995.

The problem surfaces when a package does tricky stuff with active
characters in math mode, so it's possible that it will affect other
packages as well, and it may not always be feasible to work around
the issue at the source document or macro level; it's strictly an
internal xetex error (though happily it doesn't seem to show up very
often).

I have just fixed the bug in the source code, for those who like to
try the latest stuff; otherwise, the fix will be included in the next
release. In the meantime, a possible workaround for the URL problem
seems to be to load the fontspec package.