[XeTeX] problems with hyperref \url box

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Sep 4 01:03:52 CEST 2006

On 3 Sep 2006, at 11:50 pm, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:

> I have tried to compile this document with XeLaTeX:
>
> \documentclass[a5paper,12pt,twoside]{article}
> \usepackage{hyperref}
>
> \begin{document}
> \begin{description}
> \item[E-Mail] \url{user at domain.com}.
>
> \item[Website] \url{http://www.domain.com}.
> \end{description}
> \end{document}
>
> And for some strange reason I get the following errors:
>
> ! Extended mathchar used as mathchar (2097151).
> <to be read again>
>                    <
> l.6 \item[E-Mail] \url{user at domain.com}

Yes, I can confirm this. Not sure why, yet -- investigation needed.

I believe it's somehow related to the url package (which is used by
hyperref); if you just use {url} instead of {hyperref} you still get
the same problem.

It's also somehow related to font encodings, I think, and how LaTeX
internal character representations are handled; if you add the
fontspec package (even without choosing a new font), the error goes
away, and I'm guessing this is because the default font encoding is
changed.

I'll try to look into this.... or if one of the LaTeX/font/character
experts like Will or Ross cares to try, that would be great.
Obviously something isn't quite right, probably due to changes
introduced in xetex 0.995, but I don't yet understand exactly where
the problem comes from.