[XeTeX] segfault with xetex

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Sun Sep 3 14:30:02 CEST 2006

Jonathan Kew wrote:
> On 3 Sep 2006, at 11:54 am, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>> Jonathan, just accidentally I found out which font causes the
>> segmentation fault when not finding the font name for any font in my
>> font directories (http://www.orthodoxia.gr/media/athena.zip).
>>
>> Don't forget that the segmentation fault happened after I removed some
>> Type1 fonts when xetex was running. Because of that, it might be a bug
>> in fontconfig.
>
> I don't think so. I just installed this font on a Linux system, and
> easily reproduced the segfault with xetex.
>
>> Just in case it helps, Pango 1.14.x seems to have problems with this
>> font (it makes Firefox crash when browsing a page that loads the font
>> [bug already reported]).
>
> Reported as a bug in Pango, Firefox, or the font? I believe it's
> primarily the font at fault here.

Sorry, reported as a bug in Pango (it is actually the software that
cannot handle the font properly).

I forgot to mention that the font developer knows that the font is
flawed. The font itself has been superseded by “New Athena Unicode”
(http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~pinax/greekkeys/NAUdownload.html).

> So my suggestion would be to simply abandon it and use a different
> font. But I will also try to identify more precisely where xetex
> crashes, and make it more robust if possible. In principle, a bad
> font shouldn't crash the program, it should just fail to work as
> intended.

I will remove the font from my system.

Thanks for your help,

Pablo