[XeTeX] help for the font problem

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Sep 2 11:18:28 CEST 2006

Am 02.09.2006 um 05:37 schrieb Dalyoung:

> 2. some math font errors:
> 	*** fontmap psfonts.map not found; texmf.cnf may be broken

This and the other messages of fonts not found can be due to some
disorder in the MAP file system. I'd recommend to launch i-Installer
– and bring it into expert mode! I don't remember whether you can
choose this mode or you need to set a preference. Only in expert mode
you have in "Configure Only" the option to change entries in the MAP
files system.

On the command line you can use updmap, or, for setting up the
system's MAP files, sudo -H updmap-sys. It is a time consuming
process. (Help can be requested with updmap --help, it's the same
messages with or without -sys.)

sudo -H updmap-sys --syncwithtrees		to know all MAP file fragments
sudo -H updmap-sys --listavailablemaps		to see what's actually available

Now you would need to add entries (MAP file fragments) to the MAP
files (psfonts.map for dvips, and maybe for xdv2pdf, too; dvipdfm.map
for dvipdfm, dvipdfmx, and XeTeX's xdvipdfmx; pdftex.map for pdfTeX)
like

	sudo -H updmap-sys --enable Map=<your choice>
	sudo -H updmap-sys --enable MixedMap=<your choice>

The messages about cmr9, cmmi9, and cmmi12 show that you need to
install the CM-Super fonts. These provide the usual Computer Modern
fonts in PostScript form. The message about ec-lmr12 indicates that
you might not have installed the Latin Modern fonts, which you should
do now.

If you have installed both, then you need to update the MAP files by
"enabling" some MAP file fragments:

	Map lm-ec.map
	Map lm-texnansi.map
	Map lm-ts1.map
	MixedMap cm-super-t1.map
	MixedMap cm-super-ts1.map

(Latin Modern has so many differently named MAP file fragments that I
really do not know which are the right ones. The three names above
look reasonable, and they work for me. If you're sure that you'll
never use the Y&Y or LY1 (input) encoding you could save some minutes
by not enabling lm-texnansi.map. CM Super offers some Cyrillic
encodings, too.)

Pay attention whether the Latin Modern fonts are installed in the
system! This would allow their use in XeTeX (without ConTeXt). There
is also a MAP file fragment that allows the use of some Mac system
fonts in "normal" (La)TeX: Map gtamacfonts.map.

As you might know ConTeXt uses its own set of MAP files fragments. My
description would make LaTeX use all these fonts. Could be you need
to use in ConTeXt+XeTeX lines like

	\loadmapfile [psfonts]

--
Greetings