[XeTeX] accessing ligatures in CMU Serif

Alexej Kryukov anagnost at yandex.ru
Thu Oct 26 11:50:35 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 25 October 2006 14:51, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have just discovered that XeTeX is not able to access the ff, fi,
> fl ligatures in the CM Unicode fonts (http://cm-unicode.sf.net/).
>
> The tags are defined, but for default script and default language. I
> guess this is wrong. Should they be defined for Latin script and
> default language instead?

Well, the ligatures can be accessed, if you explicitly specify
"CMUSerif-Roman:script=DFLT,language=dflt". But of course this is
a bug in the fonts: in fact the ligatures should be defined for
the Latin script and _all_ language systems explicitly listed
in the font (in this case not only the default "language", but
also Vietnamese and Dutch), except those where they are
inappropriate (e. g. fi-ligatures should be disabled for Turkish).

I'll report this problem to the developer.

--
Regards,
Alexey Kryukov <anagnost {at} yandex {dot} ru>

Moscow State University
Historical Faculty