[XeTeX] Experiences with XeTeX on Debian Sarge and Ubuntu Edgy Eft

Christoph Bier christoph.bier at web.de
Wed Oct 25 19:10:38 CEST 2006

Peter Dyballa schrieb am 25.10.2006 16:14:

> Am 25.10.2006 um 15:56 schrieb Christoph Bier:
>
>> Yes, you're right. But is there a need for me to fix this if it's
>> only a symlink? I just thought it were two different files and I
>> might miss something :-).

s/if it's only a symlink/if it should only be a symlink/

That may be the cause for a misunderstanding?

> You *have* two different files: a PDF file of 206.289 bytes a file
> with 24 bytes of scrap.
>
> If the smaller were a sym-link the long ls listing would start with
> l. Look at my previous posts!

Sorry, I don't understand. You wrote: "I found that in the local
teTeX tree only one XeTeX sym-link exists:

/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/doc/xetex/xetexref.pdf -> XeTeX-
reference.pdf"

and previously:

"-rw-r--r--   1 pete  pete  206289 25 Sep 11:54 XeTeX-reference.pdf
lrwxr-xr-x   1 pete  pete      19 25 Sep 11:54 xetexref.pdf ->
XeTeX-reference.pdf

which is quite the same situation as in /usr/local/teTeX/share/
texmf.local/doc/xetex:

-rw-r--r--   1 pete  admin  206289 13 Aug 18:42 XeTeX-reference.pdf
lrwxrwxrwx   1 pete  admin      19 25 Okt 00:51 xetexref.pdf ->
XeTeX-reference.pdf"

Thus xetexref.pdf *is* a link to XeTeX-reference.pdf. And, like
others posted before:

chris at lotus:/usr/local/share/texmf/doc/xetex$ cat xetexref.pdf
link XeTeX-reference.pdf

which seems to be Mac OS X specific.

If I link xetexref.pdf to XeTeX-reference.pdf, too, what's the
difference between those two files when I open them with a PDF
viewer? That's what I wanted to ask. With other words: Does it make
a difference---from a user's point of view---if I do not create this
link? 'xpdf xetexref.pdf' would just open XeTeX-reference.pdf if I
created the link. Thus xetexref.pdf contains nothing I might miss.

I hope I could point out what I actually wanted to say with my

Regards,
    Christoph
--
+++ Typografie-Regeln: http://zvisionwelt.de/downloads.html (1.51)