[XeTeX] Experiences with XeTeX on Debian Sarge and Ubuntu Edgy Eft

Luzius Thöny lucius.antonius at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 14:14:43 CEST 2006

On 10/24/06, Christoph Bier <christoph.bier at web.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> because the Ubuntu debs of the XeTeX homepage have unmet
> dependencies on Debian Sarge I downloaded the XeTeX und xdvipdfmx
> sources for building my own debs (BTW: I had to make configure and
> debian/rules executable). After removing hungarian and serbian
> hyphenation patterns all formats have been built successfully. But
> compiling a document fails because of an undefined control sequence
> (\do) in url.sty. I found out that the XeTeX package provides its
> own, older url.sty (ver 3.1) that is not used here by xelatex
> because the newer one is found first ($TEXMFHOME is searched before
> $TEXMFLOCAL). For some reason I can't remember I need the new
> url.sty (ver 3.2). But even if I copy XeTeX's url.sty in the
> directory with the document to compile (Will Robertson's XeTeX
> reference guide (v0.2)) I get another undefined control sequence
> (this is still true if I copy all .sty and .tex files provided by
> XeTeX in this directory):
>
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> \Gm at checkdrivers ...fined \else \ifnum \pdfoutput
>                                                   =\@ne
> \Gm at setdriver {pdfte...
> l.71 \begin{document}
>

> Installation of the Ubuntu debs (I'm aware that they are for Dapper)
> fails for Edgy with the following message:
>
> texhash: Updating /home/chris/texmf/ls-R...
> texhash: Updating /usr/local/share/texmf/ls-R...
> texhash: Updating /var/lib/texmf/ls-R-TEXMFMAIN...
> texhash: Updating /var/lib/texmf/ls-R-TEXMFDIST-TETEX...
> texhash: Updating /var/cache/fonts/ls-R...
> texhash: Updating /var/lib/texmf/ls-R...
> texhash: Done.
> [: 76: ==: unexpected operator
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/xetex.postinst: 76: -p:: not found
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/xetex.postinst: 76: -p:: not found
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/xetex.postinst: 76: -p:: not found
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/xetex.postinst: 76: -p:: not found
>
> (BTW: Edgy ships with TeXLive debs besides the teTeX debs. Will
> dependencies of XeTeX be adapted for TeXLive users? IMHO it makes
> sense because Thomas Esser doesn't make new releases of teTeX any more.)
>
> I built my own debs again (now on Ubuntu Edgy) but with the same
> results (same message as above).
>
> Best Regards,
>         Christoph
> --
> +++ Typografie-Regeln: http://zvisionwelt.de/downloads.html (1.51)

Just want to let you know that I've successfully installed and used the
following experimental packages (for debian) on ubuntu edgy:
http://www1.pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp/~kohda/debian/xetex/

as far as i understand it, they are not official debian packages because
they violate some kind of policy, which I think has to do with the
hyphenation problem.

cheers,
luzi