[XeTeX] problems with lengths

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Oct 20 15:35:30 CEST 2006

On Oct 19, 2006, at 4:07 PM, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:

> Thanks, Herbert. I guess there is no way to correct this.
>
> Sorry, but I don't know what the baseline is. And I don't
> understand how
> the measure can be taken.
>
> Thanks,
>

> Pablo

Howdy,

The baseline of letters is the imaginary line along which letters align:

_____________ this is the approximate baseline _______________

Since letters, for the most part, extend above the baseline they will
optically appear to be closer to an ornament placed above them than
to the same ornament placed the same distance from the baseline below
them.

You can add some vertical space between the ornament and the first
line or remove some vertical space between the last line and the
following ornament. How much space must be added or removed should be
done visually since it will vary depending upon the content of those
lines.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest.com)