[XeTeX] ``Peace on Earth'' again

Rod Harries rharries at ihug.co.nz
Wed Oct 11 02:37:36 CEST 2006

On 11/10/2006, at 8:31 AM, William Adams wrote:

> Well, the holiday season is approaching once more, and I'm planning
> on re-visiting my ``Peace on Earth'' card and would like even more
> translations if possible.
>
> You can see a list of the languages I have thus far here:
>
> http://members.aol.com/willadams/portfolio/typography/peaceonearth.pdf
>
> If you'd like to offer a different translation in one of the
> languages already represented, or are aware of a different
> translation (w/ source attribution please) I'd be grateful for that
> as well.
>
> I was sent a copy of it in Arabic last year at my old job, and will
> be trying to dig that out, and am planning something a bit different
> this year, which will show up XeTeX's strengths I hope.
>
> Thanks!
>
> William

William,

Quoting Luke 2:14 from the Welsh Bible:

Old version:

Ar y ddaear tangnefedd i ddynion ewyllys da.

[On the earth peace to men of will good.]

New (1988) version:

Ar y ddaear tangnefedd ymhlith dynion sydd wrth ei fodd.

[On the earth peace amongst men that are in his favour.]

(I prefer the old version.)

Rod Harries