[XeTeX] Finished testing Adobe OpenType Font Folio on the Mac

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Wed Nov 22 17:01:28 CET 2006

On Jun 29, 2006, at 11:05 AM, William Adams wrote:

> A couple of fonts had strange character issues (capitals in
> particular weren't appearing). Does anyone have access to these and
> if so have they been able to use them successfully?
>
> ITC Stone Sans Std
> ITC Stone Serif Std
> New Century Schoolbook LT Std
> Times LT Std

Well, I finally puzzled out the difficulty for these. It's the matter
of Fractions or Phonetic variants being found and used in preference
to the Roman font, so while I suppose it could be worked around by
manually specifying variants, it'd be nice to fix it at the source,
but where's the difficulty, fontspec or XeTeX?

Perhaps the fix will help these as well?

> Most troubling was a number of fonts which exist in text/script and
> border/dingbat pairs, these almost invariably chose the ornamental
> font, to wit:
>
> Notre Dame LT Std
> Pompeijana LT Std
> Rusticana LT Std
> Wiesbaden Swing LT Std

William
(who doesn't understand why special OpenType fonts were made for
Fractions or Phonetics or Borders)

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.