[XeTeX] The xetex-greek package

Alexej Kryukov anagnost at yandex.ru
Sun Nov 12 22:07:51 CET 2006

On Sunday 12 November 2006 20:45, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:

> I think that using utf-8 is better for compatibility with ConTeXt.

Well, ideally we need a basic engine-independent file and a set of
scripts allowing to easily convert it to any desired representation.

> The patterns provided by the xetex-greek package include an
> interesting feature that seems to be missing from the antomega files.
> They offer polytonic hyphenation for oxia and tonos accented vowels
> and antomega offers it only for tonos. I don't know whether Omega can
> handle both accents specifying only one in the patterns, but probably
> XeTeX cannot.

This is intentional: I have excluded accented vowels with oxia from my
version of the patterns just because I prefer to resolve the problem
of duplicate characters in Unicode (unfortunately, there are so many
of them) at the lccode/uccode level. Antomega sets lccode/uccode for
accented combinations with oxia to the same values as for their
counterparts with tonos, so that the compiler can recognize both
characters in each pair as the same character. Nothing prevents us
from adapting this policy to XeTeX too.

> By the way, which are the line numbers of the extra set of rules for
> initial accented vowels in your hyphenation patterns for antomega?

You may have a look at the very beginning of the list, where the
original patterns by D. Philippou (and the modification by
A. Syropoulos) have a set of simple patterns allowing breaks after
vowels, i. e.

^^^^03b11
^^^^03b51

In my version each of those lines is followed by a set of similar
rules for accented variants of the same vowel, e. g.

^^^^03b11
^^^^1f001
^^^^1f011
^^^^03b51
^^^^1f101
^^^^1f111

Regards,
Alexey Kryukov <anagnost {at} yandex {dot} ru>

Moscow State University
Historical Faculty