[XeTeX] Bruno V on Mac OS X TeX Mailing list

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 17:55:13 CET 2006

Hello,

By coincidence I saw Bruno asked a question relevant to me on the Mac
OS X TeX mailing list yesterday or so:

> - Regarding the files inside /usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.local/source/
> xelatex/:
>
> /usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.local/source/xelatex/euenc
> /usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.local/source/xelatex/fontspec
> /usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.local/source/xelatex/unimath
> /usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.local/source/xelatex/xltxtra
>
> These look like a leftover, something necessary in the building stage
> but forgotten afterwards. In particular, it seems the unimath
> directory -- apparently an evolution of the experimental xmaths
> package from the beginning of this year -- does not correspond to any
> file inside /usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.local/tex/xelatex/. Or did I
> miss something obvious?

Are there actually files in those directories?
I would hope you would find euenc.dtx, fontspec.dtx, and so on.
I'm very much a fan of these files actually ending up in people's TeX
distributions, although I might be weird. I've often wanted to look
into various dtx files to either recompile them with more information
or to see how authors managed to typeset their documentation.

In fact, it would make most sense to me if TeX distributions didn't
come with pdf or dvi documentation at all, and you just compiled your
own from the dtx as necessary. This would cut down download sizes
significantly, and provide other advantages, such as being able to
(with something like docstrip.cfg) to typeset all of your own
documentation with, e.g., your own fonts and better hyperlinks than
are usually provided.

With regard to unimath: stay tuned. This is indeed the evolution of
xmaths (I didn't like the old name for various reasons) and with the
recent release of fontspec out of the way, I'm hoping to release a
preliminary version soon. (It depends how long it takes and also on
Jonathan's new features in XeTeX.) Unlike xmaths, this package
actually uses proper methods to deal with unicode maths symbols and
allow unicode maths fonts to be selected much more easily than maths
fonts are currently in LaTeX.

Cheers,
Will