[XeTeX] xelatex vs. pdflatex + otfinst

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Nov 3 17:10:56 CET 2006

On 3 Nov 2006, at 10:56 am, Sebastian Hanigk wrote:

>> If you're running xelatex on Linux or Windows, or on Mac OS X using
>> the xdvipdfmx output driver, then you should be able to use all the
>> same math features as with standard (pdf)latex. The limitation on
>> math (no virtual fonts, so only a few math typefaces are available)
>> applies only when using the original xdv2pdf output driver on OS X.
>
> Hmm. I am using xelatex on MacOS X on a G4, so I assume that the
> standard driver is xdv2pdf.

Yes

> Is there any way to check or change?

Yes; you can use the -output-driver option to xetex in order to
specify the alternative driver. I normally recommend passing the -q
(quiet) and -E (try to embed all fonts) options to the driver; thus:

    xelatex -output-driver="xdvipdfmx -q -E" yourfile.tex

You can do this from the command line, or create a new TeXShop engine
file that includes the appropriate options in the script.