[XeTeX] xelatex vs. pdflatex + otfinst

Sebastian Hanigk hanigk at in.tum.de
Thu Nov 2 23:41:02 CET 2006

Hello!

As I am now in the process of writing my thesis, the typesetting
issue looms at the horizon (so to speak).

For more than a year I was using xelatex for most of my work but as
an alternative there is the possibility of using pdflatex and otfinst
for the generation of TeX-usable fonts from my OTF fonts.

The (approximate) conditions for this work will be the usage of
Adobe's Minion Pro as text font with Myriad Pro as companion for
captions and some inserts. Mathematical typesetting will be
important, as well as graphics, especially MetaPost.

The simplicity of the fontspec package compels me using xelatex, but
at least for Minion Pro there exists a usable package which I will
test in the next weeks.

Now the question: what do you suggest? The pros of xelatex are the
simple usage of OTF fonts and their features and Unicode support (OK,
inputenc exists); on the other hand, pdflatex can use the microtype
package (but do I need it?) and sometimes I get the impression that
mathematical typesetting with xelatex isn't as good as with the
normal TeX tools; furthermore I need to integrate my TeX engine with
MetaPost.

Best regards!

Sebastian