[XeTeX] xetex & lyx (latex)

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Thu Nov 2 21:47:38 CET 2006

On Nov 2, 2006, at 2:19 PM, Gour wrote:

> What about using 'old' TeX & Type1 fonts?

There's some support for this, but I don't track it, since when
that's needed for me, pdftex is usually a better choice.

> I am also considering to buy Lucida fonts (from Tug.org) hoping
> they can
> be used with XeTEX too?

Only if they can be used w/o requiring virtual fonts (which I think
w/ LY1 encoding they can be).

>> There was a recent discussion listing nice free fonts which you may
>> want to look up in the archives.
>
> Thank you. I'll take a look.
>
> However, while working with present LyX/LaTeX I often need to use,
> besides Croatian chars, TeX accents to get diacritics for Sanskrit
> (not
> Devanagari), so I have to check how are those free fonts populated,
> i.e.
> whether they support Croatian as well as accents needed for Sanskrit
> transliteration.

One of these was Gentium if memory serves which has quite good
language support.

> I am trying to give some input to devs not to forget XeTeX support in
> LyX, especially considering that XeTeX is supposed, afaik, to become
> part of TeXLive 2006.

Excellent!

Let me know if there's a place I should send feedback cogitating for
this.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.